Thursday, October 14, 2010

Asking Too Much?

Jinkies! Three posts, one week? Yea, don't get use to it. I'm sure this won't last.

This is a parenting post. Not where I give you advice or suggestions but one where I vent my frustration, apparently, and of course feel free to chime in.

As most of you know, I'm the proud parent of one very pretty, very witty, very clever, very outgoing, hyperactive teenage girl. She just recently moved here to Kansas to live with me and her two brothers after living with her dad in Texas (I hate Texas - that's a whole other post) for the past three years following the divorce. Everything has been fine with only minor (or major depending on what side of the argument you're on) issues arising from her new life in a world with rules, supervision & accountability. Yea, I'm not really a hard ass but I do try.

Well guess what? She's made friends, in particularly, ones that are boys, guys, dudes or whatever you wanna call them. The few I've met, we've really liked. However, that's like the instant *doom* for any guy. "The parents like ya, can't date ya. " So what does the teen do?

Finds herself an idiot.

Okay I don't know the guy personally & I can be very judgmental. At least I admit it, isn't that the first step to recovery? It's who I am. Love it or leave it. Mayhapsibly he's not an idiot. It's possible, I suppose. All I know is what I've seen on his Facebook page. Yea, he knows nothing about privacy settings, or doesn't care. Either way I'm not above stalking my kids on Facebook. Again, first step is admission, right?

So here's the question, is it too much to ask that she date someone who doesn't come off as some uneducated buffoon?

First of all, the big red flag on Facebook was that he has his birthday listed as "July 6, 1989" which would make him what? 21? My daughter is 17. I have no problem reporting any guy over the age of 18 who thinks he needs to be dating my 17 year old daughter. I'd probably smile the whole time I wrote up that police report too. Well according to her (and I will require some sort of photo id as proof) he is a sophomore at her school & "everybody lies about their age on Facebook" Really? Well if I was going to lie about my age, I wouldn't be pretending to be a 21 year old in high school still. Idiot point #1.

I'm huge on grammar/spelling/making up my own wordifications, whatever and my biggest pet peeve is the serious lack of importance on spelling these days. I'm not the English Language Police by any means but would you want your daughter dating some one who's Facebook page read like this - Idiot point #2:
[actual text from his wall]

"A hurasment and restraning order just might half to do it."
"Numb as shit at tbe dentis and wishing to go bak to school to see my baby girl:)"
"IM NOT DATEN WHITNEY! WHO KEEPS SAYING THIS STUPID BS! IM TIERD OF IT!"
"Shes telln everyone tht im daten her WHEN IM NOT?!"
"BORRRDDD!!!!! SOmeone TlK To mE!!!!"
"bout ta gett ready for tonight....."
Please tell me that someday she'll find someone who can spell GUD and has more than 2 brain cells, with parents like us who care enough to not let him make a complete idiot of himself on the intRAWRwebs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

KiK loves comments, feedback, and suggestions. Got something to say? Say it. If you'd prefer to contact Kimberlee directly, send an email to: kimberlee [dot] bourdon [at] gmail [dot] com